Wednesday, April 1, 2015

The Roof...The Roof...The Roof is on

...the house!
Taken 3/26/15 Back view...looking north/northwest
Well, the roof has been there for over a week now. I do wish I was able to make it out to the site more last week.  Time wasn't the problem. It was energy and stress. I was there on Monday, however, and the progress is so exciting. Most of the top/main level is framed!

I'll be frank and admit how much Alexander is running me into the ground. I know Christian was also a handful in his toddler/pre-school years, but I've never had a kid with the kind of tantrums and such a display of anger and tenacity as Alexander. I knew something like this was possible the way he would cry as a baby. I can't really describe the cry. Oh, I can hear it in my head, but I cannot put it to words. 

It was a typical cry of displeasure followed by an extension of drama just to make sure we were aware that he was pissed. That still doesn't quite describe it. Let's just say that when he cried that way when I was in the car with Georgia (my step-mother-in-law...this was when 9 month old Alexander and I went to Oregon to visit them upon their return from South Africa), and she heard that cry, she was taken aback followed by an, "oh my...". And this is a woman who had eight kids of her own and has a plethora of grand kids. But she hadn't heard that type of cry before. 

Therefore, fast forward to age 4, and we are reaching a breaking point. A friend who witnessed a Level 10 Tantrum last week put it best, "His tantrums are as bad as he is adorable..." 

Yeah, that pretty much sums it up. And on Monday, when Alexander didn't like the answer he received as I stood at the snack bar at Target, he ran to the crowded floor where the groceries are bagged and people are finished checking out and just lied there. The cute guy who was working the snack bar register was like, "wow...." Then he said, "He is trying to get you to go over there. You know that's what he's trying to do..." That young kid totally got it. And I said, "That's why I'm ignoring it, despite the looks I am getting right now because my kid is blocking the way and I'm still standing here..."

But the house is coming along. (How's that for a segway?) That means when we move in, there will be more space for people to go to their corners of the ring to stay away from whomever they were fighting with. 

I am included in that. 

Meanwhile, Christian received more awesome awards for the third quarter of the semester. He made the Honor Roll again, along with Exceeding in the Math. Then he received a special award that I am not sure any other students have received this year. When he was reading the announcements one week in the principal's office (I think it was sometime in January), I guess he showed her a way to read the Word Documents on her screen more effectively. I was able to be there for one of those days and the principal raved at how helpful Christian was with her computer. Yes, I'm proud. But I also have to laugh. Because he always has an opinion about the way someone uses their computer. In fact, back in second grade, he showed his teacher some features on the Power Point to make things (in his mind) "better". She was impressed with his knowledge, as was his principal this semester! 

Click here for the video of her description as she presents him with the award. 

Yep. I'm proud. That smartypants is my kid. 


"I'm only visiting this planet..."
And because I do love Alexander, here is a video I just love from back in November 2011 when he first started to walk. I'm also having a good hair day in the video, so it's an especially favorable X-man video. That cute little narrator voice is 11 year old Mikelle. Why am I showing this? Because cute photos, videos and other nostalgia is helping me through this struggle we are in with this phase he is in. 

Plus, it's good for Way-Back Wednesday.

Meanwhile, here is a picture of Mikelle from an outing she and I were on last Saturday. She usually loathes having her picture taken. You'd think she was in the Witness Protection Program. But when I snuck in this snapshot, she didn't become as angry as she usually does. I'll count that as a good thing.  Progress is being made. 

And to end this post with random anecdotes, here is a picture from over a urinal that Chris took at a pizza joint the other night. 

One is laughing while the other is looking.

You're welcome.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment